(Wish to get this briefing by electronic mail? Right here’s the sign-up.)
Good night. Right here’s the newest.
1. “To pause and look again is a revelation.” See the pictures that our editors selected for The 12 months in Footage, together with the picture above, of Rohingya refugees fleeing Myanmar.
“It’s a cliché to comment that the time has moved rapidly and slowly all of sudden,” our author Amanda Hess says in an accompanying essay. “However one of many darkish powers of our units is to bend time, to suck us into the display screen and spit us out seemingly months later. To check these pictures is to be perpetually stunned at all the things that occurred this yr.”
2. Congress handed the $1.5 trillion tax lower (the Home for the second time in two days, after a procedural snag). It’s on its solution to President Trump’s desk, and he celebrated its passage on the White Home, above.
The measure is the most important overhaul of the tax code in a technology, and Democrats vowed to make use of it as a cudgel within the 2018 midterm elections. Republicans say the invoice’s outcomes will make it fashionable.
The measure additionally eliminates the Inexpensive Care Act’s rule that most individuals have medical health insurance or pay a penalty. We mentioned the concept’s Republican, conservative origins, and what the change will imply on “The Each day.”
three. At a cupboard assembly, President Trump threatened to chop support to any nation that votes in favor of a decision on the U.N. Common Meeting denouncing his choice to acknowledge Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
It’s tough to see how Mr. Trump may ship on his menace, because it may contain slicing off support to numerous strategic allies, together with Egypt. The vote comes Thursday.
four. Cardinal Bernard Regulation, who resigned as archbishop of Boston in 2002 amid the pedophile priest scandal seen within the movie “Highlight,” died in Rome. He was 86. His funeral might be held in St. Peter’s Basilica on Thursday.
In his lengthy profession, he had campaigned for civil rights and social justice, defended church orthodoxy and change into a good friend of presidents, the pope and different highly effective figures.
However his stature was shattered by revelations that he had protected baby molesters for years.
5. The European Union’s highest courtroom declared that Uber is a transportation enterprise, not only a tech platform that connects drivers with riders. Above, an anti-Uber protest in Spain.
The ruling is a blow to Uber, which should now abide by the identical guidelines as taxi corporations. And it may have massive ramifications for different tech corporations benefiting from the gig economic system, constructed on freelance, short-term staff.
6. The season of giving has additionally change into a time for stealing different folks’s presents.
The rise in on-line procuring means bonanzas for porch pirates, who assist themselves to packing containers left outdoors properties.
Persons are utilizing surveillance know-how to thwart thieves — and social media to disgrace them.
7. When the Winklevoss twins invested their Fb settlement in Bitcoin, many snickered.
However the hovering worth of Bitcoin is giving the entrepreneur brothers a second of vindication: Their stockpile is now value $1.three billion.
eight. It was simply one other day within the recording studio.
That was the important thing to writing Ed Sheeran’s “Form of You,” the runaway hit that topped Billboard’s year-end singles chart and has change into the most-played observe ever on Spotify, with greater than 1.5 billion streams.
On this video, Mr. Sheeran and his writing mates clarify how they crafted the tune in simply 90 minutes. And he sheepishly admits he had no concept it was something particular.
9. Thursday is the solstice, the shortest day of winter within the Northern Hemisphere and the longest day of summer season within the Southern.
In New York Metropolis, the solar might be within the sky for simply over 9 hours. Beginning Friday, the times will begin to get longer as soon as once more. Right here’s extra about the way it works — and why people won’t exist with out it.
10. Lastly, the newest episode in our video sequence “Dance within the Actual World” takes you contained in the vogueing scene in New York Metropolis, above.
And late-night hosts had lots to say in regards to the tax invoice. Jimmy Fallon famous a report that discovered many People would find yourself paying extra in taxes by 2027.
“Trump mentioned it’s payback for almost all of People who voted for Hillary Clinton,” he joked.
Have an amazing night time.
Your Night Briefing is posted at 6 p.m. Jap.
And don’t miss Your Morning Briefing, posted weekdays at 6 a.m. Jap, and Your Weekend Briefing, posted at 6 a.m. Sundays.
Wish to compensate for previous briefings? You’ll be able to browse them right here.
If images seem out of order, please obtain the up to date New York Instances app from iTunes or Google Play.
What did you want? What do you need to see right here? Tell us at firstname.lastname@example.org.