(Need to get this briefing by e mail? Right here’s the sign-up.)
Right here’s what you’ll want to know:
Tax overhaul nears Trump’s desk
• The most important rewrite of the tax code in a era is on the verge of turning into regulation after Republicans within the Senate handed the measure early this morning.
The Home will vote on the invoice once more at the moment, after slight adjustments have been made within the Senate. The 2 chambers should approve an identical laws earlier than sending it to President Trump for his signature.
Now we have a breakdown of how each consultant and senator voted on the invoice, which might make deep and lasting cuts to company taxes in addition to briefly decreasing taxes for most people. No Democrat in both home voted in favor.
As a reminder, right here’s what’s within the invoice, and a calculator that can assist you decide how your taxes may change.
• Nonetheless have questions? Our reporters can be conducting a Fb Reside dialogue at the moment at 11:30 a.m. Jap.
The 2-month sprint to a Republican victory
• The tax plan, born of the failure to repeal the Reasonably priced Care Act this yr, raced by Congress at a dizzying tempo. We retraced its path.
In the long run, the measure met almost each deadline in an optimistic timeline. “At present, we’re giving the folks of this nation their a refund,” Speaker Paul Ryan mentioned on Tuesday.
However our reporters notice: “To get to that second, Republicans walled themselves off from criticism, convincing each other that unfavorable financial analyses of their invoice have been incorrect, and that its poor ballot numbers would enhance as soon as the cuts labored their manner into Individuals’ paychecks.”
• Republicans are nearing their first main legislative achievement since taking energy. However they’re additionally keeping track of subsequent yr’s midterm elections, our chief Washington correspondent writes.
From #MeToo to #WhatAboutUs
• The Harvey Weinstein scandal unleashed a world motion in opposition to harassment within the worlds of leisure, media and authorities. The plight of blue-collar employees has drawn a lot much less consideration, nonetheless.
The Occasions spoke with feminine staff at two Ford vegetation in Chicago the place harassment continued many years after the corporate tried to sort out sexual misconduct.
Tonya Exum, an Military veteran who reported being groped, recalled a union consultant saying: “It’s not sexual harassment. He solely did it one time.” (When you’re a blue-collar employee, you possibly can confidentially share your experiences right here.)
• To learn extra, join our e-newsletter The #MeToo Second.
The supply of subway riders’ distress
• New York Metropolis’s subway system has had its worst yr of delays for the reason that transit disaster of the 1970s.
An investigation by The Occasions discovered that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s flawed insurance policies and practices led to preventable breakdowns.
• An in depth have a look at service in June — the system’s most-delayed month this yr — highlights how avoidable upkeep issues trigger commuter anguish virtually each hour.
• “Porch pirates” are busy throughout the vacation season, swiping packages from doorsteps.
However owners and retailers are placing again with cameras and different expertise.
• Uber misplaced a serious authorized battle at the moment, when the European Union’s highest court docket declared that the corporate should adjust to powerful guidelines governing conventional taxi associations.
• The Winklevoss twins, Tyler and Cameron, have been as soon as mocked for his or her funding within the digital forex Bitcoin. Who’s laughing now?
Individually, a hedge fund devoted to digital currencies launched its return to buyers: 25,004 % (not a typo).
• U.S. shares have been down on Tuesday. Right here’s a snapshot of world markets.
Ideas, each new and outdated, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Easy methods to be a greater traveler: Right here’s what we realized in 2017.
• One of the best toys and video games that educate youngsters methods to code.
• Recipe of the day: Go retro with stuffed mushrooms.
• Dancing down the years
At present’s 360 video continues our collection through which dancers of retirement age mirror on why they’re nonetheless practising. “My perspective as a dancer is totally dramatic, as a result of I’m recognized with the physique,” mentioned Douglas Dunn, 75. “And the physique is the factor that’s altering.”
• Disgraced cardinal dies
Cardinal Bernard Regulation, at one time the senior Roman Catholic prelate within the U.S., resigned because the archbishop of Boston in 2002 after revelations that he had protected pedophile monks for years. He was 86.
• The yr in footage
Images maintain the ability to make clear in tumultuous occasions. View a few of the most outstanding pictures from 2017.
• Why each vote counts
A Democrat in Virginia defeated a Republican incumbent by a single vote — 11,608 to 11,607 — leaving the Home of Delegates evenly cut up between the 2 events.
• At Warfare returns
We retired our long-running weblog devoted to the navy final yr, however we’d like your assist shaping its alternative. Tell us what you’d prefer to see.
• The place to subsequent?
NASA will announce the finalists at the moment for a coming area mission. Listed below are the choices.
• Better of late-night TV
Jimmy Fallon joked that the broadly unpopular Republican tax overhaul was “payback for almost all of Individuals who voted for Hillary Clinton.”
• Citation of the day
“Like Celine Dion, poutine was as soon as mocked and underappreciated in Quebec.”
— Nicolas Fabien-Ouellet, a professed “poutinologist” from Montreal who offered an instructional paper arguing that Canada had culturally appropriated a dish so quintessentially Québécois that it amounted to theft. Poutine consists of French fries, cheese curds and gravy.
Eighteen years in the past at the moment, Portugal handed Macau again to China after ruling it as a colony for 442 years. The transfer got here two years after Britain handed again Hong Kong, which had made Macau the final European colony in Asia.
Portugal provided to return the territory within the 1970s, however China’s leaders demurred as a result of they feared shedding a buying and selling hyperlink to the skin world, The Occasions reported on the eve of the 1999 handover.
“Since then, the Portuguese administration has presided over Macau’s regular deterioration right into a disreputable, vaguely sinister playing vacation spot for weekend wagerers from Hong Kong,” the Occasions story mentioned.
The territory, which is about 40 miles west of Hong Kong, has a inhabitants of about 650,000.
A distinct sort of milestone was reached lower than a decade after the handover, when Macau overtook Las Vegas to turn out to be the world’s greatest playing heart, with $6.95 billion in annual income.
“The place Macau was as soon as derided for its seedy playing dens and endemic organized crime, it’s now being known as Asia’s Las Vegas, and never simply by the locals,” The Occasions reported in 2007.
Mike Ives contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is printed weekdays at 6 a.m. Jap and up to date all morning. Browse previous briefings right here.
If pictures seem out of order, please obtain the up to date New York Occasions app from iTunes or Google Play.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
You may get the briefing delivered to your inbox Sunday by Friday. Now we have 4 world editions, timed for the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia, and an Night Briefing on weeknights. Take a look at our full vary of free newsletters right here.