(Need to get this briefing by e-mail? Right here’s the sign-up.)
Right here’s what it’s essential know:
Warnings about Russia and its bots
• We’re in all probability not finished listening to about Russian election meddling.
Moscow is utilizing faux social media accounts to deepen political and social divisions within the U.S., prime intelligence officers informed Congress on Tuesday.
“There ought to be little doubt that Russia perceives its previous efforts as profitable and views the 2018 U.S. midterm elections as a possible goal for Russian affect operations,” mentioned Dan Coats, the director of nationwide intelligence.
• President Trump has dismissed the concept of Russian meddling within the 2016 election and lashed out at those that counsel in any other case.
New timeline on disgraced aide
• For greater than per week, the White Home has shifted its story about how and when it realized in regards to the home abuse allegations that led Rob Porter, one among President Trump’s prime aides, to resign.
The story modified once more Tuesday when the F.B.I. director, Christopher Wray, mentioned the bureau had given the White Home the outcomes of its background examine of Mr. Porter in January.
• White Home officers had beforehand mentioned the investigation was underway when the accusations from his two former wives got here to mild final week. Right here’s what we all know in regards to the occasions.
“A non-public transaction”
• President Trump’s longtime private lawyer paid $130,000 from his personal pocket to Stephanie Clifford, the pornographic-film actress referred to as Stormy Daniels, who says she had an affair with Mr. Trump.
“The fee to Ms. Clifford was lawful, and was not a marketing campaign contribution or a marketing campaign expenditure by anybody,” the lawyer, Michael Cohen, informed The Occasions.
He has beforehand mentioned that Mr. Trump denies the affair.
• The lawyer’s involvement was first reported by Maggie Haberman, one among our White Home correspondents. She just lately mentioned the artwork of interviewing, and gave her predictions for 2018.
Costs beneficial for Israeli chief
• Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ought to be charged with bribery, fraud and breach of belief, the Israeli police mentioned on Tuesday after a yearlong graft investigation.
He’s accused of accepting practically $300,000 in items, together with costly cigars, jewellery and Champagne, in change for favors. If he’s charged, it could be a primary for a sitting prime minister within the nation.
• “I really feel a deep obligation to proceed to steer Israel in a method that can guarantee our future,” Mr. Netanyahu later mentioned in a televised deal with.
Shaun White returns to halfpipe gold
• Throughout immediately’s closing run, the American snowboarder “opened up with a frontside double cork 1440 adopted by a cab double cork 1440,” one among our reporters on the Winter Olympics writes.
Your briefing author doesn’t know what which means, however the mixture helped White win the gold medal, his third in 4 Olympics.
Listed below are immediately’s outcomes from the Video games. You will discover all of our protection right here.
• Sam Manchester, a Occasions sports activities editor, is on the bottom in Pyeongchang and sending messages to readers about what it’s like. Join right here.
• “Shares are too costly.” Inflated costs might discourage work and capital funding, setting the stage for extra inequality, our economics columnist writes.
• A downturn in California isn’t doubtless anytime quickly, economists say. However the state’s governor, Jerry Brown, desires it to start out making ready.
• Netflix lured the hit-making producer Ryan Murphy from 21st Century Fox in a deal value as much as $300 million.
• U.S. shares had been up on Tuesday. Right here’s a snapshot of world markets immediately.
Suggestions, each new and previous, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Convey optimistic power into your private home, regardless of how tight the house.
• Intercourse shouldn’t be painful. Right here’s recommendation from a gynecologist.
• Roman egg drop soup is an easy midweek recipe.
• A fog of struggle in Syria
4 Russians, and maybe dozens extra, had been killed in current combating between pro-government forces in jap Syria and members of the U.S.-led coalition combating the Islamic State, based on Russian and Syrian officers.
The Kremlin has sidestepped questions, saying that any Russians who had been killed had been mercenaries, not members of the armed forces.
• 12,000 methods to say “I really like you”
A set of Valentine’s Day playing cards, from as early because the 1680s, options pop-ups, cutouts and Civil Battle troopers.
Immediately can also be Ash Wednesday, which coincides with Valentine’s Day for the primary time since 1945. It’s a dilemma for these observing Lent: extravagant shows of romantic love, or fasting and self-discipline?
• Value of privateness: $560 million
New Hampshire won’t give a Powerball winner her cash except she lets her identify be made public.
Individuals are providing options, for a lower.
• Canines have their day
Flynn, a bichon frisé with powder-puff fur, was named Finest in Present on the 142nd Westminster Kennel Membership Canine Present on Tuesday.
Begging for extra? Listed below are pictures from the competitors.
• Discovering a misplaced pressure of rice
The seek for hill rice led to Trinidad and Thomas Jefferson, and now to pleasure amongst African-American cooks.
• Better of late-night TV
A number of comedy hosts are taking the week off, so our roundup is, too. It’ll return subsequent week.
• Citation of the day
“I appeared round and noticed my opponents, they’re all doing these quads, and on the identical time they’re a head shorter than me, they’re 10 years youthful than me, and so they’re the scale of one among my legs.”
— Adam Rippon, a determine skater on the U.S. Olympic staff, on pressures he confronted associated to physique picture and consuming.
• The Occasions, in different phrases
Right here’s a picture of immediately’s entrance web page, and hyperlinks to our Opinion content material and crossword puzzles.
Valentine’s Day is broadly thought to mark a wine-fueled pageant for courting in historical Rome.
However in North Korea, Feb. 14 signifies a unique form of affection. On today in 2012, Kim Jong-il, who led the nation from 1994 till his demise in 2011, was posthumously named a “generalissimo.”
The announcement got here two days earlier than what would have been Mr. Kim’s 70th birthday, which remains to be celebrated within the nation as “The Day of the Shining Star.”
The one different North Korean generalissimo is Mr. Kim’s father, Kim Il-sung, who started ruling in 1945 and obtained the title in 1992, two years earlier than his demise. The time period is a transparent lower above the “marshal” title held by North Korea’s present chief, Kim Jong-un.
The youthful Mr. Kim could keep in energy for many years, although, and he already has a number of titles: “Pricey revered comrade,” for one, in addition to “supreme commander” of the Korean Folks’s Military.
Mike Ives contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is printed weekdays and up to date all morning. Browse previous briefings right here.
Join right here to get it by e-mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning, or to obtain an Night Briefing on U.S. weeknights. Try our full vary of free newsletters right here.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.