(Wish to get this briefing by e mail? Right here’s the sign-up.)
Right here’s what you must know:
Conceding to the N.R.A.
• The gun debate in Washington hasn’t modified.
President Trump has deserted a push for complete gun management measures which might be opposed by the Nationwide Rifle Affiliation, saying on Monday that there’s “not a lot political help.”
After the Florida college capturing final month, Mr. Trump referred to as for elevating the age restrict to buy rifles and backed laws for near-universal background checks. On the time, he advised lawmakers that whereas the N.R.A. has “nice energy over you individuals, they’ve much less energy over me.”
• In on the lookout for an answer, the president has turned his consideration to an Obama-era effort to cut back the suspensions and expulsions of minority college students. Conservative commentators have argued that enjoyable disciplinary guidelines may let a killer slip by the cracks.
Interference? Sure. Collusion? No.
• Republicans on the Home Intelligence Committee mentioned on Monday that they agreed with U.S. intelligence businesses that Russia had interfered with the 2016 presidential election.
They differed on the intent: “We disagree with the narrative that they have been making an attempt to assist Trump,” mentioned Consultant Michael Conaway, the Texas Republican who led the investigation.
The top of the Home investigation comes because the particular counsel, Robert Mueller, expands his personal inquiry. He’s pursuing prison prices in opposition to at the least 4 Trump associates.
• Individually, a particular election in Pennsylvania in the present day has develop into the newest check of whether or not Democrats could make inroads in a district that Donald Trump carried handily. Right here’s what to look at for.
Moscow’s lengthy attain
• Russia has extra spies deployed in London than it did on the top of the Chilly Battle, former British intelligence officers have mentioned.
One in every of their most vital duties is to observe Russian opposition figures dwelling in Britain, attracted by its property market and banking system.
However the nerve agent assault final week on a retired Russian double agent and his daughter has put stress on London to rein in President Vladimir Putin’s operatives.
• Prime Minister Theresa Could mentioned on Monday that it was “extremely doubtless” that Moscow was guilty and warned of attainable reprisals. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson referred to as the assault “an egregious act.”
Doorstep bombs in Texas
• Two individuals have been killed and three injured in three separate explosions at properties in Austin, Tex., this month.
Two assaults occurred on Monday, miles and hours aside, after residents discovered a bundle exterior their door that contained a robust explosive gadget.
• The police mentioned they “see similarities” within the blasts and weren’t ruling out any motive linking the assaults, together with the chance that they have been hate-related. The victims have been African-Individuals and a Hispanic lady.
“The Every day”: Refusing to remain silent
• Hearken to Half 2 of the story of Leopoldo López, the Venezuelan opposition chief underneath home arrest.
Hear on a pc, an iOS gadget or an Android gadget.
• President Trump blocked the $117 billion bid for the chip maker Qualcomm by the Singapore-based Broadcom, citing nationwide safety considerations.
• The Chinese language authorities mentioned in the present day that it deliberate to overtake supervision of the nation’s debt-ridden monetary sector, its environmental regulators and different important authorities businesses.
The transfer would additional consolidate the Communist Social gathering’s maintain on official levers of energy.
• New faces on the prime: Nancy Dubuc of A&E Networks is alleged to be in talks to exchange Shane Smith, the pinnacle of Vice Media.
And David Solomon, a longtime funding banker, has been anointed as the only real inheritor obvious to the Goldman Sachs chief govt, Lloyd Blankfein.
• U.S. shares have been blended on Monday. Right here’s a snapshot of worldwide markets in the present day.
Suggestions, each new and previous, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Discover high quality make-up on the drugstore.
• Don’t be shocked that teenagers are sexting — embrace it in conversations about security and respect.
• Recipe of the day: Layering is the important thing to loaded nacho perfection.
• Ultimate act ends in shame
The Metropolitan Opera fired the conductor James Levine after an investigation discovered that he had engaged in “sexually abusive and harassing conduct.”
Mr. Levine, whom many contemplate the best American conductor since Leonard Bernstein, had outlined the corporate for greater than 4 a long time.
• In memoriam
Hubert de Givenchy, the French couturier, upheld an ordinary of romantic class in vogue for greater than 4 a long time, dressing the likes of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. He was 91.
• Powerball winner additionally wins anonymity
The lady who received a $560 million jackpot — one of many largest prizes in U.S. historical past — doesn’t need to disclose her identify, a New Hampshire decide dominated, saying it could be an invasion of privateness.
• It’s UConn, as traditional
Connecticut might be searching for its 12th N.C.A.A. ladies’s basketball championship when the match begins on Friday. Notre Dame, Louisville and Mississippi State are the opposite No. 1 seeds. Right here’s a printable bracket.
• Right this moment’s quantity: One-fifth
An estimated one in 5 adults within the U.S. have at the least one tattoo, and tens of 1000’s of laser removals are carried out every year.
A examine of the cells in tattooed mice may assist enhance elimination procedures for individuals.
• Better of late-night TV
Stephen Colbert was keen to debate Stormy Daniels and her “60 Minutes” of fame.
• Citation of the day
“It’s like permitting somebody to stroll on the wing of an airplane, and in my judgment poses an excessive amount of of a danger.”
— Gary Robb, an aviation lawyer, referring to open-sided helicopter excursions, just like the flight that crashed in New York on Sunday, killing 5 passengers.
• The Instances, in different phrases
Right here’s a picture of in the present day’s entrance web page, and hyperlinks to our Opinion content material and crossword puzzles.
Thailand formally declared in the present day, March 13, Nationwide Elephant Day — or Chang Thai Day — in 1998.
The nation’s nationwide animal, the elephant has all the time performed an vital position in Thai society, the place it was seen as an emblem of royalty.
Virtually, the elephant additionally helped in warfare, harvest and transportation. In Buddhism, Thailand’s predominant faith, the elephant is an emblem of psychological power and regularly seems in allegories and artwork.
There’s even a Thai Elephant Orchestra (!), which has been skilled to play percussion devices.
It’s not fully clear what number of elephants reside within the nation, however in 2006 the variety of wild elephants was estimated at three,000 to three,700, whereas elephants in captivity numbered round four,000. At the start of the 20th century, Thailand was mentioned to have had greater than 300,000 wild elephants and about 100,000 domesticated ones.
Right this moment, Asian elephants are endangered, with a inhabitants of fewer than 50,000 worldwide.
Claire Moses contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekdays and up to date all morning. Browse previous briefings right here.
Join right here to get it by e mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning. To obtain an Night Briefing on U.S. weeknights, enroll right here.
Take a look at our full vary of free newsletters right here.
What would you wish to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.